The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) has established the Integrated Post-secondary Education Data System (IPEDS) as its core post-secondary education data collection program. It is a single, comprehensive system that encompasses all identified institutions whose primary purpose is to provide post-secondary education. IPEDS consists of institution-level data that can be used to describe trends in post-secondary education at the institution, state and/or national levels.
For example, researchers can use IPEDS to analyze information on:
- Enrollments of students: undergraduate, first-time freshmen, graduate and first-professional students by race/ethnicity and gender; full and part-time; degree seeking. See Common Data Set (CDS-B) for this information)
- Institutional revenue and expenditure patterns by source of income and type of expense
- Salaries of full-time instructional faculty by academic rank and tenure status
- Completions (degrees awarded) by type of program, level of award, race/ethnicity, and gender
- Characteristics of post-secondary institutions, including tuition, room and board charges, calendar systems, etc.
- Other issues of interest
IPEDS Reports for The University of Arizona:
When applicable, IPEDS reports are broken down by campus location and ID number.
- 104179: University of Arizona
- 487296: University of Arizona-South
The 12-month Enrollment count is the unduplicated headcount of students enrolled over a 12-month period. Because this enrollment measure encompasses an entire year, it provides a more complete picture of the number of students at non-traditional institutions that enroll students year round or for short-term programs.
The Completions report collects data on the number of students who complete a postsecondary education program (completers) and the number of postsecondary awards earned (completions).
The Data Feedback Report is intended to provide institutions a context for examining the data they submitted to IPEDS.
The Fall Enrollment report collects data on all students enrolled in credit-bearing courses/programs which could potentially lead to awards ranging from postsecondary certificates of less than 1 year to doctoral degrees.
The Finance report provides context for understanding the resources and costs of providing postsecondary education and its contribution to the gross national product. IPEDS collects finance data conforming to the accounting standards that govern public and private institutions.
The Graduation Rates report collects data for full-time, first-time degree and certificate-seeking undergraduate students completing their program within a time period equal to one and a half times (150%) the normal period of time.
The Graduation Rates 200% report collects data for full-time, first-time degree and certificate-seeking undergraduate students completing their program within a time period equal to two times (200%) the normal period of time.
The Human Resources report collects data on the number and type of staff supporting postsecondary education.
The Institutional Characteristics report collects information about an institution's mission, student services, and student charges.
The Institutional Characteristics Header collects data that are key to reporting throughout the IPEDS data collection.
- 2019-20 Institutional Characteristics Header University of Arizona 104179
- 2019-20 Institutional Characteristics Header University of Arizona-South 487296
- 2018-19 Institutional Characteristics Header University of Arizona 104179
- 2018-19 Institutional Characteristics Header University of Arizona-South 487296
The Outcome Measures report collects data on the outcomes of degree/certificate-seeking undergraduate students who are not only first-time, full-time students, but also part-time attending and non-first-time (transfer-in) students.
The Student Financial Aid report collects the count of students awarded different types of financial aid or military education benefits and the total amounts of aid awarded.