The University of Arizona counts every enrolled student. Student enrollment data is compiled using census files created on the 21st day after the official first day of each Fall semester, as approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. Census files ensure reliability (historical reports can be replicated) and comparability (especially with other institutions' counts), and produce meaningful trends over time.
- Academic Career: Each student enrolled at the university has one or more academic plans. Academic plans determine the program of study as well as indicate the student’s status as an undergraduate or graduate/first professional.
- New Freshmen: Students enrolled for the first time as degree-seeking students who graduated high school the term immediately prior to enrolling at UA (not including summer) OR graduated high school two or more terms prior to enrolling at UA and earned fewer than twelve college credits after high school (not including AP, CLEP, IB, or other college credits earned while in high school).
- New Transfers: Students enrolled for the first time as degree-seeking students who enrolled at UA two or more terms after high school graduation and earned twelve or more college credits after graduating high school and before enrolling at UA (not including AP, CLEP, IB, or other college credits earned while in high school).
- Transfer Institution: Institution listed is the last attended by the student prior to UA.
- International Students: based on visa type and citizenship.